Also available as a PDF Version
Terms and conditions (2023)
Making a reservation
- A non-refundable deposit of 25% of the holiday rental is required to confirm a reservation.
- The provisional reservation will be held for 72hrs to allow receipt of the deposit.
- Payment details will be sent when a booking is made, offering payment by direct bank transfer, cheque, or Paypal.
- The balance of the holiday rental is payable six weeks before arrival.
- Bookings made within six weeks of arrival should be paid in full when making the reservation
- Reservations are minimum of four nights.
- Holiday insurance is not included, and you are advised to take out insurance (many UK annual policies cover pre-booked UK holidays).
- If we are able to re-let the property, then any payments you have made will be refunded, less 15%
- If we are unable to re-let the property, then any payments you have made will not be refunded. However, any payments you have made will be credited against any future booking in the next twelve months from the initial date of booking.
- The owners are not responsible for any delays in your arrival due to ferries, weather, etc.
- Please pay the balance of your holiday rental on time, six weeks before arrival, or we may assume that you have cancelled.
- If you decide to cancel for any reason, please let us know so that we can try and re-let the property.
- If we relet the property, we will refund 85% of your payments if you tell us in advance.
Arriving and Departing
- Holiday lets start at 4pm, but it is often possible to arrive earlier by agreement.
- Guests should vacate the property at 10am on the day of departure, again this may be extended by prior agreement.
- The property is suitable for a two people, with one or two more if using the sofabed.
- Four is the maximum occupancy (plus a baby).
- Kids are welcome, and usually have great fun.
- A few things to note: Climbing/playing in the garden area is at your own risk. The road at the front of the main house (the apartment is at the rear of the main house) has occasional traffic, and young kids should not play there.
- There is a cattle grid which may deter youngsters from straying, but the risk lies with the parents.
- The fence on two sides of the property is fenced and topped with barbed wire to keep sheep and cattle out.
- Inside the house, parents should be careful of little hands playing with pens, water, etc. which could cause damage, for which parents are responsible.
- Babies are also welcome, we have a travel cot and high chair if you don’t want to bring your own.
- One well behaved dog is welcome by prior agreement. There is a charge of £20 per booking (not per night).
- Dogs are not allowed in the bedroom, nor to sit on lounge furniture.
- Owners should make sure that dogs do not foul the garden areas.
- The property is in a crofting community, and it is strongly advised that owners keep dogs on a lead at all times to avoid disturbing farm animals.
- There are plenty of nearby beaches on which to exercise them.
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere inside. This is not negotiable and anyone smoking inside the property will have the holiday let immediately terminated.
- If smoking outside, please put cigarette butts safely in the refuse bins.
Breakages and Damage
- If you are unfortunate enough to break or damage anything in the property, we ask for your honesty in reporting it to us, so that we can have everything in order for our next guests.
- We may ask you to pay for the breakage or damage, at actual cost only.
- Sunday is widely observed as a day of peace on the islands of Lewis and Harris, and we ask guests to respect this local custom, for example, by not playing loud music.
- Although there is a garage in Stornoway which sells fuel and basic supplies on a Sunday, other shops and most restaurants are closed (some hotels are open). It makes sense to get fuel on Saturday and shop at the two large supermarkets (Tesco, Co-op) which are open to at least 10pm (please check).
Have a great holiday!
- We enjoy having guests and (assuming we are here) offer to facilitate your holiday if we can (whilst respecting your privacy if you want it).
- If you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay, please let us know immediately and we will do our very best to resolve your complaint or query.
- In the event of adverse weather, we’ve provided films, music, games, internet, and books in the property. (There’s a saying “There’s no such thing as poor weather, only poor clothing!” Most guests are out enjoying the sights in all weathers).
- The rental price includes heating, hot water, bed linen, towels, and wifi internet (for email and browsing, we do not have bandwidth or data limits for movie downloads).
- There are two bicycles and a selection of helmets, which are free to use, if available.
- There is a folder of useful information in the property, such as local information, maps, recycling, etc.
- Please let us know if you want to know any of this before you arrive.